Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Reverie"

(sold)

"Reverie is a place to think or pray." The dictionary states that a "reverie" is a dreamy or musing state of mind. So I've used it in a different way here by referring to a place where "reverie" might take place. In either case, the word has significant meaning for me.  My childhood was marked by getting  in trouble a with my mother  for always being in a state of reverie.

If you look real close, your will see what appears to be a park or a clearing where one tree is more prominent ....almost in the middle of the piece. This was a difficult piece to create because of the enormous amount of detail. Of course, I could do what a lot of others do and simply make my shapes more simple and call it a day. I'm not there yet, but I am trying to get there.

In the meantime, I am gaining some very important practice in mixing up all of those colors. Practice is like looking through binoculars. At first, every thing is "blurry" and then as you begin to adjust the focus, things become crystal clear. Of course, in learning, it doesn't happen quite that fast, but I am noticing more things every time I paint. And that is precisely why it is so important to practice your techniques every single day.

I must sound like a broken record, but I spent too many years flying by the seat of my pants on mastering skills that would have progressed a hundred times faster if I had had the good sense enough to take it as seriously as a student taking a class for a grade. That's why I'm "sounding off" on process so much so that perhaps I could convince a few of you to quit "horsing around" and just do what you need to do to get where you want to go. 

There is not a teacher on the planet that can make that happen for anybody. It is a matter of will. But the reason most of us put things off is out of fear of failure. And the only way that fear will be conquered is to follow your passion and just get it done. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment