Tuesday, December 25, 2012

"Peace"

($40.00......6" x 6"....Water Soluble Oils on Gessobord)

"Let the snow fall in your heart with peace." Snow falling makes no sound. A peaceful heart allows the silence to come and listens to the still, quiet voice of God.  Merry Christmas!

In the scene from yesterday, the near blizzard conditions were at their peak. In the piece today, the snow was still falling, but the trees were more visible and the sky had a bit of a glow. Both photos came from Flagstaff, Az.

The sgraffito technique was very much in play in both of these pieces. In fact, I think about it everyday since my quote is inscribed into the paint. This same technique can easily be applied to mixed media. When painting with acrylic paint or laying down Speedball Printing Ink, a pen or anything else with a rigid point can be used to scratch into the surface. If I am scratching into an acrylic painted surface (almost dry), I dip my pen in alcohol to reveal the previous layer. If I am writing or scratching into Printing Ink, I use water or alcohol.

You could actually create an entire line drawing with this technique and a pointed or broad edged pen. The thinner the paint or printing ink, the easier it will be. These techniques will be reappearing in my mixed media work very soon. My desire is to continue with oil painting, but also keep the mixed media pieces going as well. I have now painted (68) small palette knife paintings, so it won't be too long before I hit the (100) mark.

So my encouragement is to do something with your art everyday in the coming year. Do it intentionally and it will soon become intuitive. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about. 

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment