Friday, December 28, 2012

"Rhythm and Spacing"

($40.00......6" x 6".......Water Soluble Oils on Gessobord)


"Rhythm and spacing are keys to success." Everyone has their own particular rhythm and must figure out how to space their lives in such a way as to maximize that personal rhythm. Today, mine feels a bit syncopated...and I'm okay with that.

In order to progress and experience success in creating artwork, it is often necessary to shake up the rhythm and spacing in your work. For instance, I had an overwhelming urge this morning to take the palette knife and make one large gestural stroke across my carefully painted piece. I did resist that urge, but did swipe a few places because I don't like for anything to look too predictable and contrived. That experience helped me to realize that I need some time and space to follow those impulsive moments...preferably when I don't have a deadline of posting, even though it is a self imposed deadline.
I simply did not have time this morning to start over if everything "went to hell in a hand basket".

However, this is a very important point for every artist to consider. There must be enough time and space to create a different rhythm and follow those impulses. I also realized that it will serve me well to work on some larger pieces so I have a bit more room to be inventive and "crazy". So I guess my whole point is this, keep working on the basics, but also allow for spontaneity in order to break out of comfort zones and watching your work become more contrived by the day. It's a matter of rhythm and spacing! And there you have it...just a few more things to think about. 

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment