Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Pacing"

($50.00....6" x 6"....Water Soluble Oils on Gessobord)

"Pacing is the most important part of process." This is not only true in art, but in life. Remember the "Tortoise and the Hare" fable. It is not always the "flash in the pan" person who progresses, but rather the one that plods along day after day. (By the way, the tortoise won the race.)

Those of us who have been part of bible study groups have heard many times that it is "line upon line" and "precept upon precept". The point being, that information must be cumulative. And "cumulative" means to increase in amount by successive additions. That's why doing something everyday is so important. When a day or many days are skipped in any process, important things are forgotten and the "cumulative process" comes to a screeching halt. 

Please know that when I share these thoughts, I am speaking to myself as much as anyone else. You could say that by blog commentaries are my way of "self talk". I am just letting everyone else in on my private conversations with myself!

So what I did today was give myself one hour to create this piece which naturally caused me to increase my speed. And it worked so well that I came in at (45 min.). The "internal critic" was completely shut down and I simply mixed and laid down those colors as quickly as possible. Second guessing cannot be part of the equation when working under these conditions so if you are indecisive and it takes you forever to create an image with paint, please give this a try. And if you think it doesn't look good after completion....that's the time to analyze and see where you might improve. Don't analyze while you're working or you'll never get done.

So it looks like you will be seeing a lot of images that are done quickly and some slowly and all of the intervals in between because I am captivated by this process and it definitely keeps me out of a rut. And if you don't know how to mix colors, then work on that while at the same time you are working on painting an image...even if you've never done it before. You might be surprised at how well you do! And there you have it...just a few more things to think about. 

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment