Wednesday, January 9, 2013

"Seen or Unseen"

(unavailable.....12" x 18".....Acrylics on 300 lb. HP Watercolor Paper....mounted on a 2" depth Clayboard)

"We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18 NIV) This piece is a more abstracted version of my 6" x 6" posting on Dec. 3, 2012. The message of the verse is inscribed into the paint which makes it invisible from a distance, but can be read up close. That is perfect to illustrate the meaning. (Created for an upcomiing exhibit at Hill Country Bible Church NW.)

This was a great exercise in yet another way to arrive at abstracting an image. By viewing the piece from December 3, 2012, in its first abstracted state, I was able to take it a step further. (I may even decide to do it one more time as I view this latest effort.)  It is such a joy to discover these types of processes as I work along.  (Another reason to work on your work every single day.)  Even 15-30 min. is better than not doing anything. At least the design and process thoughts would keep coming.

Another decision I had to make for this piece was to leave the oil paints behind and switch to acrylics, since there would not be enough time for the paint to dry for this exhibition.  It was very "dicey", since the paint dries so fast (even with retarders) and I could not inscribe into the paint without working fast. 

I set up my palette with the same paints I used for the small oil painting. I made the choice to paint on 300 lb HP because I like the "drag" caused by the paper and it has a more subtle look created by the textures. (Cropping options also came into play which is always a good thing.)

The first layer was a very "grayed down" orange mixed with a lot of white to create a tint. I mixed up all the paint for the boulders / bluff in the background and painted that second and then inscribed the lettering before moving on to the bottom half of the piece. 

The advantage of working in acrylic is that I have the option of writing the quote again (in a darker green) at the bottom if I choose after mounting the piece on a 12" x 18" Ampersand Panel (2" deep).

Experimentation with an "abbreviated" image is always scary and exciting all in the same breath. It's a great path to travel if you're courageous and bold! And there you have it...just a few more things to think about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment