Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"Looking In or Out"




















($40.00.....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)


"There's a big difference between looking in or looking out." It's also like saying that it is warm and cozy in our comfort zone, but there's is so much more to experience by walking out of the cozy environment. This is applicable on so many levels and well worth a bit of meditation.

Ready or not, I am jumping into a much freer and more expressive use of lettering, mark making, and drawing. I can attest to the fact that this is incredibly difficult for me, but what do I have to lose? Will the lettering "police" come and take me away? The fact of the matter is that blogging every day is what will hold your feet to the fire, but it will also open you up to criticism. The more important point is whether a person has the pure motivation of wanting to write expressively, but also desiring to improve in the process. In the end, it is worth the risk.

As for me, I am adopting a rather "risky" attitude and following the advice of Davy Crockett...."You may all go to hell. I will go to Texas!" (change the words that will apply)  Of course, I say that with "tongue in cheek" and those who know me are well aware that I typically do not swear, but there does come a time when you must get some backbone and determination and let the nay sayers and discouragers take a "flying leap".

I promise in the New Year to give encouragement and absolutely no negatives to anyone who has the courage to pick up the pen, pencil, paint brush, etc. Creating art is tough and fun and altogether uncertain, but definitely worth the risk. May you have the courage to do what you must! And there you have it....a whole lot to think about for the next year!


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment