Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Love Language" (unavailable)




















(unavailable)


"Flowers are a non verbal love language." Today's posting is for mothers everywhere, but today I want to dedicate this posting to a special mother in my life. She is my daughter, Alice, and mother of two of my grandsons. She is an exceptional mother who has sacrificed time, money, and personal convenience to make sure her boys have every possible opportunity to succeed in life. (The photo in this posting is a bouquet of flowers she sent to me for this Mother's Day.)

This is another piece created by texturizing gesso. That part was done first. The photo was adhered on top of the gesso with gel matte medium. It was printed on Gampi Silk Tissue paper which is totally transparent and has no edge. In other words, it becomes totally integrated on whatever background it's placed. You can only see the edge in this piece because of the application of Speedball Printing Ink over the background and the edge of the tissue which extends beyond the image. It receives the ink differently than the gesso and I quite like the effect.

In recent postings where I've used this gesso technique, I have limited myself to black, white, gray, and silver. The only difference here is that I wanted color so I removed much of the black printing ink with a damp sponge brush and by blotting with kleenex. After drying it thoroughly, I sprayed it with Krylon Acrylic Spray Coating and then applied a coat of Liquitex Clear Gesso. This application prepared the surface to receive soft pastels. It was then sprayed again with acrylic spray coating and then the surface was prepared for lettering. (see other postings for how that's done) You can see that the decisions as to where to confine the color created shapes from edge to edge. Shapes form the foundational "bones" for any piece of artwork. Just a few more things to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Mom! It's beautiful! I love the piece, and I love you!!! Have a great Day! -Alice

    ReplyDelete