Saturday, January 28, 2012

"Old and Forgotten"




















($40.00.....6" x 6" mounted on a 1/8" clayboard panel)


"Listen to the old and oft forgotten." Old buildings have a lot in common with old people. They both have many stories and experiences within them. The younger generation would be wise to sit down and listen awhile for there is wisdom that can only be learned through experience. I have a neighbor that I like to sit and have coffee with because he knows so much about life before technology. In fact, he wrote a book called Wagons to the Moon.

My photos of old buildings are some of my favorites. I added to the look by preparing the paper with Golden Crackle Paste applied spontaneously with a palette knife. Using a stylus to create some gestural marks in it also adds to the look. Sometimes it will not crackle if applied too lightly so I just bend the paper in several directions to achieve the cracks. You can see it in the upper right hand corner. The gestural marks show up because of the gesso that was applied after the photo was printed and sprayed. Those marks are important because they not only add texture, but create an "echo" of the lettering used in the quote.

As for the lettering, I used a small broad edged pen the same size as a Mitchell #6. It is called a Rubinato Nib and can be ordered from Paper and Ink Arts. For the bolder strokes, I used a ruling pen with their erratic line, and randomly selected those marks to create a strong contrast between the thick and thin strokes. Just two or three more things to try or think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment