Monday, January 16, 2012

"Sitting Pretty"




















($40.00.....6" x 6" mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)

"Asking yourself good questions will give you understanding and leave you sitting pretty." The phrase "sitting pretty" is not one I hear much anymore, but my parents used it to describe people they knew who had a good turn of fortune in their lives. So it basically means that things are going your way. Asking good questions is a wonderful vehicle for activating your mind to find the answer. It's really quite extraordinary how well it works. Give it a try!  It will leave you sitting pretty.

On one occasion when we were visiting Silverado, Colorado, I came across this beautiful piece of glazed pottery sitting outside on a stone column. There were branches of Aspens hanging down over it and I knew it would someday be an inspiration for a piece of artwork. It was this bowl, in fact, that caused me to remember the phrase, "sitting pretty".

My focus in this piece was the bowl and the lettering. I am making great efforts to become more expressive with my lettering so I had no problem overlapping it over the image and making that unit the center of focus.

The lettering was done with a pointed pen and bleedproof white. The forms are based on spencerian script with many modifications. Exaggerations, individual letters weighted in odd places, and the bouncing effect all add to the expressiveness. It's fun and challenging all in the same breath and even though I have a long way to go...everyone has to start somewhere. If you wait until every letter is perfect, you will never learn how to do this. For me, it is very much like practicing the piano. Even after the notes are learned and played at the right time, it takes experience to be more expressive with a bit of "rubato" in the rhythm so it doesn't sound too mechanical. It also helps to work on a surface that can be corrected if necessary. This one was prepared with (2) parts water to (1) part gel matte medium and brushed on/dried with a hairdryer. It was a good thing because I removed (2) lines (3) times. Just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment