Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"Knowing and Doing"




















($40.00....6" x 6"....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard)


"To know something is to have done something." This quote is a take off on another quote that I have said repeatedly in script classes...."Doing is the one condition of truly knowing." It is so true, but there is something in all of us that works against that notion. Progress is made only when the doing takes place. Practice....practice...practice.

Since this is one of my favorite quotes, I decided to REALLY sign it with an extravagant signature. D..A..D are my initials. My given name is Delores Ann Richey. However, my husband ask if he could shorten that to Dee and that's what I've been called for (43) years. It is a take off on signature writing which was so prevalent in the early years of our country when Spencerian Script and flourishing became vogue. I'm sure you've probably seen many an envelope with someone's initials or full name with flourished birds circling about. I don't do birds, but I do like signature writing. The idea is to go from one capital to the next without lifting the pen. I didn't quite make it, but a girl has to start somewhere! It was done on another piece of paper more receptive to the free movement of my pen and then I printed it on tissue paper as I explained in my posting yesterday.

Of course, the background is Liquitex Pouring Medium plus Golden Fluid Acrylics. Even though these backgrounds have tons of color, unless there is some detailed marbling going on or the color pools in a particular spot to create a focal point, it is nice to add a bit of collage to create a center of interest...hence the flourished caps. Other types of collage can be used besides the transparent tissue paper images, but it has to be just the right thing to integrate well with this type of background. One way to know is simply the uneasiness that comes over you when something doesn't look quite right. When it is right...you will sense it immediately. That's how you'll know. When in doubt...leave it out. Just a few more things to think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment