Sunday, February 5, 2012

"Push Back"




















($60.00....6" x 6"...mounted on a 1.50" depth clayboard) 


"When life pushes back...prayer is the answer." I cannot recall ever knowing anyone who has not had adversity at some point in their life. We have a choice to try to figure out everything in our own strength or to offer up prayer to a God who can help. It's a wise choice to pray.

This piece illustrates just how much Liquitex Pouring Medium and Acrylic Paint can be manipulated. With very wet paper (under the faucet kind of wet...on both sides) pour the mixture of paint and medium on the paper. I have developed a more successful technique by using only one of my color choices first and getting some overall coverage of the medium. It then becomes easier for the other colors to flow into the first and create some interesting patterns. The key is to know when to stop and how much water to spray into the color while working. It will not move well without additional spraying.

I always work at least 2-3 inches beyond my desired size so that I have some choices in cropping. It is a combination of these two things (working larger and then cropping) that leaves you with some design decisions. I was very pleased with the white negative space shapes in this piece because they are all different sizes and very interesting shapes. The addition of two bits of collage printed on transparent paper added to the dynamics. Pairing the quote with the image was my biggest delight. Moving color and understated lettering work every time they're tried. Now you have several more tidbits of information concerning this process. Just something to try or think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment