Saturday, February 4, 2012

"The Unexpected Treasure" (unavailable)




















(unavailable)

"Collage elements are often the unexpected treasure when taking a walk." If you look down when taking a walk, you might find something you never expected. There are artists who have created entire collections out of found objects. Save those bits and pieces. They make good collage elements!

This piece began with an actual photograph of cracks in concrete. I find them extremely fascinating. They are so erratic and random and give a good basis for a contemporary art piece. The only problem I had with this one was the "blah" color, but soft pastels came to the rescue.

I did not actually use collage elements that I had found, but I did make them look old and worn. When adhering the pieces with gel matte medium, rub a bit over the top of the image and then take a brayer and roll over a portion and the top layer of paper will come right off. Try only an edge until you notice the effect. Dry and then proceed with the soft pastels applied with a soft brush.

After preparing the surface for lettering (2 parts water to 1 part gel matte med.), the very casual versals were written with pointed pen and a mixture of Perylene Violet + Prussian Blue gouache. Spray with Acrylic Coating....dry....follow with varnish and the piece is finished. So I hope this provides you with a few more things to try or think about.

2 comments:

  1. I like this texture, Dee, and the soft colors. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool, you know I love using unexpected objects, too, so I like the collage elements in this piece a lot. I really like the softness of the colors as well!

    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete