(unavailable.....11" x 14".....Mixed Media....Mounted on a 2" Depth Clayboard)
Today I have introduced color. And I must tell you, it was very difficult for me to post this today because you are seeing the piece in mid stream. The colors have not been sufficiently adjusted...no text fragments included...and no plain rice papers. The reason I am showing it to you at this stage is because I need a few hours of drying time before sanding anything else. And I also know it helps to see what layering is all about so you don't throw up your hands and quit before the piece is finished.
Sanding is a form of deconstruction. After I had stamped the background with additional colors, using Speedball Printing Ink, I blotted much of the stamped areas with a tissue dipped in water to remove some of the hard edges. Even though I still wasn't satisfied, I went ahead and dried it with a hair dryer and sprayed it with Acrylic Coating. After also drying that with a hair dryer, I took some rough sand paper and hand sanded the "dickens" out of the background, being careful not to disturb my lettering. What this did was further integrate the stamped imagery into the background by revealing parts of the previous layer through the sanded areas. This is a very good layering technique. And if you're really brave, you might want to use a palm sander with a variable speed setting. (In times past, I have sanded the edge of paper into oblivion!)
The other addition to the piece is the covered bass wood pieces. They are not adhered to the support yet so that I can study it a bit more and also do additional lettering on the background without having to work around these raised areas. I am excited to show you the final tomorrow and trust me, it will be totally different. And there you have it...just a few more things to think about.