Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"One Big Detail" (unavailable)






















(permanent collection of dee day)

Have you ever wanted to do something, but first you needed to complete a long list of other things? This quote and the many different colored compartments describes those moments for me. It doesn't relieve the problem  but it makes me feel good to express myself...and then work on my priorities.

Layering techniques will often require me to seal one layer to move on to the next. The color in this piece is gouache. The black gesso would have mixed with the colors and created a "hot mess" had I not sealed the color. Two light coats of spray acrylic coating (not workable fixative) will seal but leaves a surface too slick to receive another layer. Mixing (1) part gel matte medium plus (2) parts water with a palette knife will alleviate the problem. If the surface is still repelling....keep brushing with one hand and drying with a hair dryer in the other. Apply one more layer of the medium and then you will be good to go. If you want a surface that has some "tooth" to receive pastels, then use clear gesso (Liquitex). Have fun!


Please visit my ebay listing to bid on original art from Dee Day Art Journal Painting a Day.
Dee Day ebay

1 comment:

  1. Dee,
    I start each and every day looking at your art and getting inspired.
    This is my FAVORITE piece so far (I say that every couple of days).
    Thank you for your talent.

    Gabi

    ReplyDelete