Monday, March 26, 2012

"Casa de Colores"




















($40.00.....6" x 6".....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)


"Color with a rich patina soothes and calms the soul." The colors we choose to surround us in our homes can go a long way in setting a mood. Antiques with a rich patina as well as other "aged" items can be a calming effect even in a contemporary setting. Think about the colors you have around you. They have a profound effect on your emotional health.

This piece began as a pouring medium piece. However, I am very much in another experimental stage and used several aging techniques and lots of layers to develop a richer surface with lots of patina. The initial pouring medium had raw umber, turquoise, and yellow and was quite bright. After completing the Spanish Round Gothic, I sprayed the entire thing with Acrylic Spray coating and then did another layer of pouring medium with titan buff. Much of it was sprayed with water to reveal the portions I wanted to see. It was left to dry overnight.

This morning, I sanded it with very rough sand paper to remove part of the lettering and break up the surface of the pouring medium. Collage was added, along with pastels, charcoal powder, etc. After that, I cannot tell you what I did. It's a blur because I got so into it that I kept doing whatever came to mind until I had done all I could do. The one line of spencerian script was the final thing. The depth of this surface is incredible. The only advice I can offer is that you should decide what you still want to be visible at the end and do everything to preserve those areas. Just a few more things to think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment