Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Lofty Goals"




















($40.00.....6" x 6"....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)


"Lofty goals are attainable after letting go of past failures and negative mindsets." I have a brother who has a favorite phrase he uses when reminding himself to let something go....or reminding me! It's called "lig it"...and stands for let it go. Some things need to go and past failures and negative mindsets are two of them.

This cropped section from a pouring medium piece has an interesting selection of diagonals as though they're flowing off of the page. It is a visual metaphor of letting something go...hence the quote.

To quote myself..."Black and white plus one or two other colors works every time it's tried." I particularly like the raspberry color with turquoise. It's a softer version of the powerful red and green complementary colors. Throw in some yellow and you have another set of complementaries between the yellow and turquoise.

The only thing I wish I had done before doing the pouring medium is create my pencil lines and non verbal text. The spontaneity does not quite ring true when they're added after the fact. It goes back to the idea that if you want a spontaneous result you must use a spontaneous process. It is far better to make these erratic marks on a larger sheet, create the pouring medium and then crop the piece. It will look random and never contrived when following that process. Lesson learned. Just a few more things to think about.


Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment