Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Pure Inspiration"




















($40.00.....6" x 6"....mounted on a 1/8" depth clayboard panel)


"Pure inspiration comes from the inner spirit ignited by anything that produces creative thought." There is nothing quite like the surge of energy that accompanies a spark of inspiration. It is that sudden brilliant, creative, or timely idea that prompts immediate action.

As I have mentioned in other postings, a gradual change has occurred in what inspires my quotes. In the beginning, I thought about the quotes first, often spending hours writing them down in advance of creating the art portion. I am happy to say that the whole process has flipped and now I create the visual first and then let that be my inspiration for the quote. It's much more natural and satisfying to me. I am quite convinced that artists working in any medium could benefit by working in this way. It allows for more freedom and inspiration when creating a piece. This is especially true when working from a particular concept or theme. If you get an idea in your head that something would be best illustrated by including particular materials or a particular shape...all of the wisest "design sages" on the planet will not be able to convince you otherwise...even when everything in the piece is screaming for a "do over".

For instance, if you are inspired by a particular color arrangement, it would be very inspirational to take those colors and try them in your own particular medium and enjoy that process without laboring over any particular concept. I promise that a concept will emerge from this process and it will seem much more spontaneous and much less contrived. So my advice, especially to artists on my team at church is to flip your process and see what happens. Quit contorting your artwork into some preconceived idea first. Do some experimenting, hone your techniques, and place more of your focus on good design...and the rest will follow. Just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment