Friday, March 16, 2012

"Decadent Chocolate" (sold)




















(sold)


"Decadent chocolate with a raspberry filling is the perfect treat." I absolutely know I have some partners in crime out there! Who can resist a quality piece of chocolate? It's a perfect treat to celebrate Friday and the upcoming weekend.

Some chocolate factories have elaborate displays of hot chocolate moving from one glass container to another. There is such a place in the Bellagio in Las Vegas. It is mesmerizing to look at and the chocolate is glorious to eat. That's what this pouring medium piece reminds me of and so the quote was a "no brainer".

And that takes me back to a very important thing to remember in creating abstract art. I've noticed in myself and others, a very strong tendency to place infinite detail in a piece to convey what it is. Did I need to paint a chocolate bar with the wrapping and the lettering on the wrapping to convey that this represents chocolate? No, I did not. My encouragement to those who are experimenting with mixed media and layering techniques is to keep it simple and describe the essence visually. Even the simplest representations can get complicated when finalizing a piece so it is prudent to start simple since it can get complicated in a hurry.

Also, take note, once again, that the entire piece is not covered with extreme detail. The viewer must have a place to rest their eyes and then they will stay focused on what you want them to focus on. If everything is covered with detail from edge to edge...the viewer will have no clue where to look. Just a few more things to think about.

Please contact me personally to inquire about this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment